Learn How - The UMAi Dry Charcuterie Process
UMAi Dry Aging Charcuterie Process
Here is how UMAi Dry® works for creating charcuterie:
- Select an appropriate cut of meat for your project (Pancetta = pork belly or a pork Capicola "gabagool" = pork shoulder or pork butt Lonzino = pork tenderloin)
- Using a digital scale, prepare the curing salts and your choice of spice recipe: Kosher Salt - 3% of meat weight or 66 g per 5 lbs (2.2 kg) #2 Curing Salt- 0.25% of meat weight or about 1 teaspoon per 5 lbs (2.2 kg)
- Coat the meat with cure and spices and leave it in a ziplock bag for two weeks to cure.
- After curing, remove from vacuum bag, rinse and get ready to dry.
- Seal the cured piece of meat into UMAi Dry, and place on an open wire rack in your fridge for 6-8 weeks (Yes... good things take time).
- Dry cured meats are ready when they have lost 30-40% of their original weight.
- Within 6-8 weeks (or longer for larger pieces of meat) that pork belly or pork shoulder will transform into delectable meat candy.
- Slice thin and knock your friends socks off.