Here is how UMAi Dry® Dry Sausage Kit provides everything you need for creating dry sausage at home:
1. Grind cold (par frozen) meat (5 lbs) through a large grinding plate for crispy, defined particles.
2. For the required in 3% salt, 0.25% Instacure #2 (included), use a digital scale or skip the math and use the premixed UMAi Dry® Blend of Curing Salts for 5# Recipe) and UMAi Dry® Spice Blend or your own spices recipe. Toss with the still chilled particles of meat for even distribution.
3. Dissolve Bactoferm T-SPX (included) in 3 tbsp of de-chlorinated cool water and mix thoroughly into the sausage meat.
4. Stuff with dedicated stuffer into UMAi Dry® casing and tie off ends with zip ties. For dry sausage, a dedicated stuffer is essential to maintain the essential particle definition for good fermentation, drying and attractive finished product. Auger-type attachments generally re-grind the meat into a mash that does not ferment and dry successfully.
5. Weigh several of the links and make note of both this Start Weight and the calculated Target Weight, a loss of 35-40%.
5. Hang in a space that is kept at 65-75F and is protected from air drafts. An unused oven works well for this--but make sure no one turns on the heat! The sausage will ferment for 48-72 hours and should "blush" or brighten when the pH has dropped.
6. After fermentation, place on a wire rack into your regular full size refrigerator until sausage loses 35-40% of its original weight (for 50mm sausage approx. 4-6 weeks).
7. The result - traditional fermented dry sausage that you will be proud to share with friends and family. Store in vacuum packaging to preserve the moisture level.