Instacure #2 Curing Salt is a must for charcuterie like capicola or fermented dry sausage, like traditional soppressata. This slow-acting "pink salt" protects the color of dry cured meat craft. It releases the protective nitrates over time, keeping the meat safe as it dries.
Couldn't load pickup availability
Slow-acting curing salt a must for safe dry cured meat craft. It protects the delicious color of traditional charcuterie like capicola, or fermented dry sausage, like Italian salami or soppressata. This type of "pink salt" releases nitrates and nitrates over time, keeping the meat safe as it dries, and releasing as nitrous oxide. For charcuterie and salumi, you want to measure by weight, using 0.25% the weight of the meat for safe proportions. If you must measure by volume, one level teaspoon cures 5 lbs of meat. This packet contains enough for 30 pounds of meat.
For charcuterie and salumi, you want to measure by weight, using 0.25% the weight of the meat for safe proportions. If you must measure by volume, one level teaspoon cures 5 lbs of meat. This packet contains enough for 30 pounds of meat.
1. Weigh ingredients: 3% kosher salt and 0.25% #2 Curing Salt. NOTE: Dry fermented sausage is best with 20% fat, pork back fat being optimal for appearance of final product.
2. Activate Starter Culture: For 5# of meat, use approx. 1/8-1/4 tsp of T-SPX, 1/4-1/2 powdered dextrose, then dissolve in 1 tbsp room temp de-chlorinated water.
3. Grind cold meat with 16mm or larger grind plate.
4. Combine meat and starter culture solution thoroughly..
5. Mix in kosher salt, curing salt and spice blend.
6. Stuff with dedicated stuffer, NOTE: Do not use blender attachment to stuff as it will destroy the particle definition necessary for fermentation and drying.
7. Weigh several sticks and mark both start weight and target weight--less 35-40%.
8. Slow ferment 24-72 hours at room temperature in a protected area. A "blush" should be perceptible. Do not ferment longer than 72 hours.
9. Refrigerate on open wire rack. Dry until reaching 35-40% weight loss.
10. Transfer finished product to vacuum packaging to equalize moisture level edge-to-edge. Store in refrigerator or freezer.
#2 Curing Salt is a combination of nitrates and nitrates that release slowly over the course of drying to your target 35-40% weight loss. These protect again pathogens, and preserve the delicious color of the finished product.
Need help? Head over to our Help Center for support from the pros!